Imagine sitting in a small Italian café and enjoying a delicious cannoli after having an amazing Italian lunch. Now you don’t need to travel to Italy to be able to experience this yummy dessert! With a crispy shell and creamy filling made with our 63% Dark Chocolate Chips, this cannoli recipe will upgrade you from home cook to expert pastry chef. The perfect elevated dessert that makes a perfect ending to a home cooked meal. Follow our recipe to the end to get some extra special, extra chocolatey cannoli!
- 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/3 cup of marsala wine
- 1 egg
- 32 oz of ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar
- ¾ cups of KakaoZon 85% Dark Chocolate Chips (or any of our other chocolate chips!)
- To begin, mix the flour, granulated sugar, salt, butter, and wine in a large bowl
- Add the egg and continue to stir until the dough is even in color and texture
- Cover the dough and set it aside for 1/2 to 2 hours
- Next mix the ricotta filling by thoroughly mixing the ricotta, powdered sugar, and chocolate chips in a separate bowl
- Dust the dough in flour and flatten it using a rolling pin (you can also prepare the rolling surface with extra flour or parchment paper to prevent sticking!)
- Cut the dough into even circular shapes
- Roll the circles into the shape of a cannoli shell on a form
- Fry the cannoli shells in a deep fryer or just a pot of boiling oil
- Once the cannoli shells have hardened carefully remove them from the fryer and set them aside to allow them to cool (this is important, so the ricotta doesn’t melt!)
- Feel free to melt a little extra chocolate and dip each cannoli shell in it as an extra little bit of chocolate at the ends
- Once the shells are cooled fill them with the ricotta mix!
- Extra fun bonus step! Use a knife to create chocolate shaving to top off the ends of each cannoli! Try using our gourmet chocolate bars!
By Rebeca Gonzalez. Video by Sophia Malcoyannis. Original Recipe by Cooking Classy