Christmas Chocolate-Covered Cake Pops
Christmas is only a few days away, so we thought we would share a fun Christmas themed recipe! Cake pops are always hard to get right. Between getting the cake into the right shape and making sure it stays on the stick, they can be really challenging desserts to make. But these frosting-filled, chocolate-covered cake pops are the perfect treat that even a beginner can make! Cake pops are fun to make together and decorate for the holidays or any special occasion!
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of hot water
- ½ cup of KakaoZon cacao powder
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of pre-made chocolate frosting
- 10 oz of KakaoZon chocolate to melt you can use our bars or our chips (we recommend our 63% dark chocolate)
- Cake pop (thin popsicle sticks work too!)
- Christmas-Themed Decorative Sprinkles!
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs, stirring until well combined and set this mixture aside
- In a saucepan, tea kettle, or microwave safe bowl warm 1/3 cup of water (you don’t need to bring the water to a boil)
- Add the hot water to a separate bowl (the water should be hot but not boiling), then add the cacao powder and milk. Stir gently until smooth
- Add this chocolate mixture to the large bowl with the rest of the ingredients and combine the two mixtures
- Next, add the flour, baking soda, and salt stirring gently until well combined
- Pour the batter into a pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until you are able to insert a toothpick and remove it cleanly from the cake
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes and crumble the cake to a fine texture in a large bowl
- Add the frosting to the crumbled cake, mixing until the frosting and crumbs are evenly distributed and the mixture is able to clump and hold its own shape
- Use a tablespoon measurer to scoop the dough and roll them into small balls with your hands. Place them on a pan or in a bowl and allow them to sit in the refrigerator for ½ to 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl
- Coat the top of the sticks with chocolate to help the cake pops stick and insert one stick into each cake pop until it reaches about the middle
- Coat the cake pops with the melted chocolate (our chocolate is thick when melted, so you may need a spoon to help you coat each cake pop evenly!)
- Before the chocolate cools add some themed sprinkles! (If you don’t have any sprinkles but still want to decorate, granulated sugar works well, or dusting the hardened cake pops with powdered sugar!)
- Have fun decorating and enjoy!
By Rebeca Gonzalez. Video by Sophia Malcoyannis. Original Recipe by Easy Dessert Recipes